I Got a Letter from the IRS. What do I do?

Question. I Got a Letter from the IRS. What do I do?

Answer. Read it. Seriously, many of our client’s are to afraid to open the letter and sadly in many cases the clock is running. For example, if you have just been audited you may receive this letter with a computation report of proposed adjustments to your tax return. It outlines your options if you do not agree with the proposed adjustments. If you agree with the adjustment, you sign and return the agreement form. If you do not agree, you can submit a request for appeal to the office/individual that sent you the letter. The letter contains information and lists IRS publications on how to file an appeal/protest. You need to file your protest within 30 days from the date of this letter in order to appeal the proposed adjustments with the Office of Appeals.

If would like more information on how to appeal an IRS audit, you can call a Dallas tax attorney with the Perliski Law Group at (214) 446-3934 for a free phone consultation to see how we can help, or fill out our online contact form.