New IRS Form 1023EZ Helps Small Charities Apply for 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status

Question: Is there a faster way to obtain tax-exempt status for my charity? Answer: Currently, the IRS has more than 60,000 501(c)(3) applications in its backlog, with many of them pending for nine months. IRS Form 1023 is a 26-page monster and requires on average 100 hours of time to complete for layman and a… [Read More]

When is Unrelated Business Income Taxable?

If your nonprofit engages in inactivity unrelated to its exempt purpose, you may have Unrelated Business Income that is taxable. Unrelated Business Income is the income from a trade or business regularly conducted by an exempt organization and not substantially related to the performance by the organization of its exempt purpose or function, except that… [Read More]

Does a Church have to have a 501c3?

Question: Does a Church need to apply for 501c3? Answer: While it is true that Section 508(c)(1) of the Code relieves Churches from applying for favorable determination letters regarding their exempt status, there is nothing in Section 508(c)(1) which relieves a Church from having to meet the requirements of Section 501(c)(3). So, in short, a church… [Read More]

A Primer on Private Foundations

Every organization that qualifies for tax exemption as an organization described in section 501(c)(3) is a private foundation unless it falls into one of the categories specifically excluded from the definition of that term (referred to in section 509(a)). In addition, certain nonexempt charitable trusts are also treated as private foundations. Organizations that fall into… [Read More]